Why choose us for digestive conditions?
Colon and rectal surgery requires special expertise. Our doctors perform minimally invasive laparoscopic surgery using robotics, which allows patients to recover more quickly and with less pain.
We also offer clinical trial opportunities to patients who qualify.
Treating inflammatory bowel disease (IBD)
University of Minnesota Physicians doctors offer highly specialized care when it comes to treating advanced inflammatory bowel disease, commonly referred to as IBD. We have dedicated IBD experts who understand the complexities of IBD-related conditions such as Crohn's disease and ulcerative colitis. We work with each patient to put together a personalized treatment plan based on the severity of the condition.
Colon and rectal surgery: what you need to know
When it comes to colon and rectal surgery, our patients usually have a lot of questions:
- How do I prepare for it?
- Where do I check in on the day of the surgery?
- Will I be awake during the surgery?
- How long will it take me to recover?
Watch our patient video, where we walk you through the process, step-by-step.
Conditions we treat
- Colon and rectal cancer
- Familial colon and rectal cancer syndromes
- Colon and rectal polyps
- Anal cancer
- Anal dysplasia
- Diverticular disease
- Inflammatory bowel disease
- Ulcerative colitis
- Anorectal disorders
- Pilonidal sinus
- Rectal prolapse
- HIV-related conditions
Procedures and treatments
- Colonoscopy and colonoscopic removal of polyps
- Colon resection (right colectomy, left colectomy, sigmoid colectomy)
- Laparoscopic colon resection
- Ileocolic resection for Crohn’s
- Subtotal colectomy with ileorectal anastomosis
- Colostomy takedown
- Ileoanal J pouch (“IPAA” or Parks procedure)
- Lysis of adhesions
- Perineal rectosigmoidectomy (altmeier procedure)
- Rectal cancer operations
- Low anterior resection with colon to rectal or colon to anus connection
- Abdominoperineal resection
- Transanal excision of rectal tumor
- Pelvic exenteration
- Robotic-assisted colon and rectal surgery
Doctors & Providers