Become a volunteer
We invite you to help make a difference in the lives of our patients and families at University of Minnesota Medical Center, Fairview. Here is how you can get involved and stay connected.
Volunteer opportunities are available throughout the hospital to fit your schedule and interests. Please review the frequently asked questions for more information regarding opportunities and availability.
Volunteers work four hours weekly for six months (minimum). Summer-only volunteers work 75 hours during June, July and August.
Every prospective volunteer must complete the following application process.
- Please read the instructions and complete the online application form.
- Pass a criminal background check.
- Provide two personal references.
- Attend a New Volunteer Information and Orientation Session.
- Complete a health assessment with Employee Occupational Health Services.
- Complete a one-on-one interview with a volunteer coordinator.
Summer 2014 Junior Volunteer Program
The application period is closed for the Summer 2014 Junior Volunteer Program.
Please keep us in mind for 2015.
The Junior Volunteer Summer Program is for 15- to18-year-old high school students interested in helping in a variety of hospital departments. We ask for two, 3-4 hour volunteer shifts per week with an additional three-hour weekly session focusing on different health career areas. This summer’s 8-week program will run from Monday, June 16th through Friday, August 8th. If you have questions, please contact Derek Taylor. The program is competitive and not all who apply will be accepted.